After 2 flights, 18 hours in the air alone, 8 timezones, and some very interesting plane food, we made it to Nairobi! Everything went so incredibly smoothly, we couldn't believe it! Thank you for your prayers. No trouble with luggage, visas, passports, etc.
It's so unreal that we are actually here. Of course, when we landed, it was dark so we couldn't see much of the city. Three Buckner staff members picked us up from the airport in two vehicles (did I mention we brought a LOT of luggage??). Our first car ride in Africa was an interesting one (and the ones since, and I'm sure from now on). I'm not really sure how many hard and fast traffic rules there are...but I don't think anyone follows ANY of them. Ha. =) But Victor, our driver, is taking very good care of us and has gotten us around quickly and safely.
Nairobi in daylight is indescribable. I can try, but will fail miserably. During our orientation/training in Dallas, a Buckner Mission Coordinator told me, "There is poverty everywhere. It just looks different in different countries. In Kenya, it's like nothing you've ever seen." The dichotomy of Nairobi is staggering. There are some very modern, beautiful buildings with gorgeous landscape, every country's embassy is breathtaking, and then there are children digging through rotting garbage for food in their bare feet just down the road.
We attended church at the Baptist Children's Center (BCC - the "orphanage") this morning. It was so sweet to worship with our Kenyan brothers and sisters, and to meet the kids. The entire congregation made us overwhelmingly welcome, introducing us, thanking us over and over again, and praying for us as we spend the next several weeks there.
My camera made me quite popular with the kids..."Picture?" "Photo?" One little boy even came running over so he could sit on the bench next to me during services, so he could be first in line to have his picture made after church was over. I have made a friend that I hope I can pour into while I'm here. I connected with a young girl, "S" during the children's Bible study. We shared my Bible and she was so eager to copy down everything the teacher said and write down each scripture to memorize. She is 14 and told me her favorite thing to study is English. She told me she is very excited for me to come back tomorrow.
There is so much more I want to share with you all! Unfortunately, my time at this cafe is up. Hopefully more updates soon. Some specific prayer requests as I go:
- Specifically pray for me: that as I am overwhelmed with what I see and experience, that I do not become discouraged and can serve beyond wanting to "fix" the "problem".
- Continue to pray for my team - health, time and cultural adjustments
- Pray for the BCC and Staff.
- Pray for the community to continue to embrace the Gospel as the BCC works in the community.
- Pray that as we get a more in-depth tour of the BCC tomorrow, we can make decisions about where we spend our time and how we can best serve these kids.
- Pray for the government of Kenya.
Oh goodness, all glory and praise to our Daddy that everything has gone so smoothly thus far! I love that you have already been blessed by the people there and that you have obviously already blessed them. Can't wait for the next update. Love you! Praying for you!
ReplyDelete