"Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning" - C.S. Lewis

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I will not blush while teaching...I will not blush while teaching...

Well. My gig may be up...the Spanish II class has officially discovered my unfortunate tendency to blush extremely easily and become flustered without much provocation.  In the world of high school, that equals open season on the new substitute!

First off, back tracking to Monday - the teacher I've been observing/assisting had a doctor's appointment that afternoon, so I got to teach the 8th period class solo! Whoop! It actually went really really well...especially considering that this particular class tends to be the most challenging (i.e. rowdy boys, verrrrry chatty individuals, kids that flat don't do their work).  I must have put my mean face on, because they actually behaved rather well albeit the once or twice I had to say "This does not require talking."  Sound very teacher-ish, don't I? ;-)

I went back yesterday and will go in on Thursday as well.  This is her last week pre-baby, so that means Monday will be my first full by myself day! ah!  Anyway, this week she and I have been taking about half the class time each to teach so I have some supervised experience.

The afternoon Spanish II class had to volunteer to come up to the front of the class and go through a conversation, including formal introductions.  Several pairs of students performed the activity, then one kid raised his hand to take a turn.  Mrs. H told him to pick a partner then come to the front.  He proceeded to come and stand in front of me, grin, and say, "I want to introduce myself to HER." Hellooooo flaming cheeks!  I wanted to tell him, "Hey, kid. I'm too old for you!" Instead, I took my unfortunate blushing self to the front of the classroom, went through the exercise with him, and sat back down....after he winked at me.  Oh dear. Those high school boys have some gall.

Anyway, I really hope this doesn't become "let's see how fast we can make Miss M. blush"....  We shall see.  At least it gives me a funny story to tell, right?!?!

-t

1 comment:

  1. Ha-HA!!! Oh my goodness, T, that's amazing. Wish I could be a fly on the wall - those kids sound like they are going to keep you on your toes. I can't wait to see how your crafties turn out! And, I need to call you and see how Monday went with the phone interview :)
    Love you, chicky!
    ~H

    ReplyDelete