- I saw "S" at church again on Sunday. She was really glad to see me and we were able to visit and even get a picture together before we left.
- Last week on our day off, we went to the Maasai Market - beautiful hand-crafted African art/pottery/jewlery, etc. So fun! We flexed our bargaining muscles, and improved a lot!
- Doing laundry in the bathtub.
- We have officially won over the kitchen staff's hearts! ;-) We have introduced them to the wonderful world of Kirk Franklin, Lecrae, and Shane and Shane. "D" (the head of the kitchen staff) figured out we don't like milk tea, so he makes special tea just for us every day - black tea with ginger and rosemary. We have had a lot of good conversations over that tea, and it is nice and calming to our stomachs when we have to eat things like...
- Matumbo - cow intestines. Yes. I cooked and ate matumbo. Not an experience I'd like to try again.
- Someone stole Noah's (our van) side mirror. Ooops.
- We still hear, "Msungu!" (White person) when we drive the streets of Nairobi.
- One of the Buckner staff members gave me a Kiswahili name, "Atisa", because apparently my name is too difficult.
- I'm getting tired of french fries - or chips, as they call them here. They are one of the British influences still held on to by the Kenyans. They love them and serve them with everything. I'm ready for a salad. ha.
- I got to call home! It was sooooo good to hear my parents' voices and put to rest the bit of homesickness I was struggling with.
- We are apparently regulars at Java House - a restaurant we frequent. We have "our" table and usually have the same waiter. He always laughs when we walk up....usually for the 3rd or 4th time for the week.
Yesterday was my first time to visit the T.E.C. program. It is a class at the BCC for girls/young women that struggled in school or even didn't finish their education. They learn to sew, make patterns, set up their own business, etc. so they will have a profession and be able to contribute to their families.
I am so very glad we decided to go, because one of the girls told us that although groups had come through the BCC before, no one had ever come to their class or spent time with them. They thought they didn't like them! How awful. We were a little apprehensive about going because we didn't think we had anything to offer them...silly us. Just because we can't help them with their sewing/projects, doesn't mean we can't form relationships with the girls and talk to them about the Lord!
They were so excited to see Delaney and I when we walked through the door - they hurried to greet us, shake our hands, and immediately pull us over to share with us their projects. They can't afford to use fabric until they are proficient at the craft, so they practice on paper bags. The things they make with paper bags are beautiful!! Our team has decided to try to find a fabric store in the city, so we can go buy some fabric to take to the girls next time we visit.
In the course of the morning, I visited with most of the girls, but talked mostly to three of the girls: one who is the niece of a Buckner staff member, one who is the youngest in the class at age 14, and a woman who is married with a three-year-old. They shared with me their stories and I with them. Each of them know the Lord and were so genuine with their words and praised the Lord for the change He has brought to their lives and the peace He has given their hearts. They asked about my family and I showed them the picture of L&C Dub I carry in my Bible, and they went on and on about how beautiful my sister is. They just stared at the picture in almost reverence; they said they were very excited because although they have never met her, they were excited that she is their sister in Christ as well!
The teacher invited Delaney and I back after lunch to join them in their Bible Study. Little did we know, that we were supposed to lead it - nothing like flying by the seat of your pants! But, it definitely made the time Spirit-led. Before the lesson, we spent some time worshipping - praying and singing. I was so incredibly touched by their worship. They sang loudly and without any sort of self-consciousness. The Lord's daughters praised their King! They cried out to Him and fervently sought His face. It was beautiful to me - I can't imagine how much it was pleasing to the Lord.
Delaney and I taught from the curriculum they had been using, adding additional verses we found to be applicable and brought to our hearts by the Spirit. The lesson was about "Expect to Change" as a believer. We focused on 2 Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old is gone, the new has come." and Ephesians 4:22-24 - putting off the old self and putting on the new self.
When we were finished, the teacher encouraged and affirmed us and our presence at the BCC with scripture. The girls even spent time praying for us. They were so sweetly laying their hearts before the Father that it was an incredible blessing to me. I hope that we served as some amount of encouragement to them as well.
My team and I are encouraged, because we feel that we have found a specific purpose for us at the T.E.C. program in loving on these girls.
Please continue to pray for:
- Relationships with the T.E.C. girls
- Relationships with the kids and Buckner staff
- Our driver - he is so servant-hearted and takes very good care of us!
- Our team - health and rest. Our day off is tomorrow; that we would be renewed for the week ahead.
- We are halfway through our time here! That the Lord would use our remaining time for His glory.
- The government of Kenya - if you haven't, check out the news. They are in the process of creating their first ever Constitution. This could be a huge point of change for the country.
Love, T
Greetings, Atisa! I love your new name! So special. I can hardly believe you are already halfway through your time there - wow. And, oh my goodness, the T.E.C. girls sounds absolutely precious. What a beautiful circle of blessings. I have to tell you that I love wearing your shirt...I may or may not wear it multiple times a week, haha. I feel like I'm living the trip with you when I wear it...it's so awesome. Precious, sister, I pray that you continue to be blessed as you bless others, remain restful in your Almighty Father, may your spirit bubble over with joy, and may the Spirit continue to guide and lead you on this journey. Love you ever so much. ~H.
ReplyDelete